Horseheads Central School District
Parents' Bill of Rights Relating to Student Data
The District, in compliance with Education Law 2-d, hereby establishes the following Parents' Bill of Rights in regard to student data:
- A student's personally identifiable information will not be sold or released for any commercial purpose;
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's educational record. Procedures for reviewing student records can be found in the Board Policy entitled "Student Records," Policy 5500, Regulation 5500-R;
- Security protocols regarding confidentiality of personally identifiable information are currently in place and the safeguards necessary to protect the confidentiality of student data are maintained at industry standards and best practices. The safeguards include but are not limited to encryption, firewalls, and password protection.
- New York State maintains a complete list of all student data collected by the State and the data is available for public review at www.nysed.gov, or by writing to 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to the Superintendent of Schools, One Raider Lane, Horseheads, NY 14845.