The Horseheads district is highly respected for quality in every aspect of education. We are proud of the education we offer our children. With a commitment to quality education and continuous improvement, the district strives to meet and exceed the needs of our students and community.
Our Mission is "Explore, Empower, Excel." Our students explore local and global opportunities in a culture of innovation, and through their own individual learning path. We empower our students, staff, and community by rising to challenges, celebrating success, and learning from failure. We excel as a result of our passion for learning, the quality of our character, and the strength of our relationships.
Initiatives that enhance educational opportunities include:
- Rigorous and relevant curriculum
- Innovation in and out of the classroom through student-driven programs, project-based learning, MakerSpace, collaborations with area businesses and organizations, and more
- Effective, innovative professional learning
- Long-term strategic plan; facilities planning
- State-of-the-art technology across the district with planned upgrades using Smart School Bond Act funds
- Full-day pre-kindergarten
- Character education programs with a Growth Mindset approach
- Intermediate school (grades 5 and 6) to help students transition more successfully to the secondary level
- Middle level education using the team concept
- Intensive scheduling at the high school level since 1996
- AP and college courses at the high school level
We take pride in our academic opportunities, embedding technology into our educational program. Our schools strive to incorporate technology into all areas and provide students with engaging experiences. Our team includes instructional technology specialists to help teachers effectively integrate technology into instruction.
Our arts and athletics programs are well known throughout the state. Through these different opportunities, every student has the opportunity to experience a well-rounded educational program.
In addition, each of our schools has a Site-Based Team made up of teachers, school staff, parents, and community members. Site teams meet during the summer and throughout the year to work on action plans to increase student achievement. Teams use data to support their decisions and planning efforts.
Each of our schools has a hard-working parent organization that provides valuable resources to our schools. Parents at the secondary level are involved in additional ways, with parent support groups for music and athletics.